Friday, February 29, 2008

Cafe Gray

The most recent restaurant that I went to was Cafe Gray.  Cafe Gray is located in the Time Warner center.  Although Cafe Gray might be dwarfed by its counterparts, Per Se and Masa, I still enjoyed a top notch meal.  When you walk down the long dark hall way that leads up to the restaurant itself, you are completely unprepared for the glitzy and shimmering restaurant.  One thing that was thought-provoking was; why did they decide to place the kitchen between the restaurant and the wonderful view.  The decor was very nice, even though there were so many mirrors.  The decor was a bit distracting.  The appetizer that I ordered was the mushroom risotto.  It was possibly the best appetizer I have ever enjoyed and also the richest.   I explained this in depth to the extremely charming and nice couple sitting next to us. My grandmother ordered a steak tartare that was palate awakening and well uncooked.   It was also very graceful in its presentation.  For my entree I ordered a skate schnitzel.  This was cooked to perfection and it was very good.  The only problem with my entree was that they piled unnecessary items on top of the skate, such as capers and spinach,  The texture of the fish was crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside.  My grandmother's dish was short ribs and it was surrounded by a spicy mustard sauce.  I tasted it by did not enjoy it at all.  It was too delicate and not enough meat.  For dessert I enjoyed a half-dozen tiny donut holes filled with jelly and dipped them into chocolate and vanilla sauce.  My grandmother had a baked Alaska that came on fire.  It also made her spirits stay on fire the rest of the evening.  The service was excellent and some of the staff even wanted to find out my blog's address.  The maitre'd was also very nice.  The cost was around 80 dollars per person.  I bid adieu to the couple next to us and started down the hall, still enjoying the meal in my head.  I give Cafe Gray a 9.5/10

6 comments:

Abbe Does It! said...

Wowee! Those donuts sound fantastic and it's lovely to have charming dining companions at the next table. I am sure they enjoyed you as much as you enjoyed them! Abbe

Malka Drucker said...

You make my mouth water, Juju. Your writing is fantastic and I trust your taste. Bubby told me how much she loved being with you last night. When I come to New York in May, I hope that we can sample a new restaurant for the blog.

Love,
Safte

Dotblock said...

I want to congratulate the restaurant reviewer for a most informative article on Cafe Gray. I totally agree that sometimes excessive decor can detract from a delicious meal! Keep up the good work so that when I'm next in New York I'll know the places I want to go and the ones I'd rather avoid! Devoted fan, Dotblock

Isabelle said...

Thanks for the tip. I will definately try the risotto. If you say it is that good I will trust you.

Anonymous said...

Julian, if I could put pictures on your blog, everyone would see you dipping those donuts in the chocolate sauce! I feel lucky to have shared those sublime meals with you at Il Buco and Cafe Gray, and look forward to more dinners and more blogs! You're delicious!
Your Bubby

Unknown said...

Julian, I was at Cafe Grey a month ago and could not agree with you more. I think that you have a good eye ( and palate) for the total dining environment. As you described, it is not only about the food but the service and decor that makes the restaurant great. I loved the service there and I think it made the food taste better. We should hit a kosher restaurant in NYC. I would be interested to get your view of that kind of dining experience.
David Weinstein