Monday, February 25, 2008

Il Buco

The second that you enter the cozy Italian restaurant of Il Buco, you are greeted with a rustic, woodsy, Tuscan sort of feel.  When you sit down to your table, even though it may be cramped, you are excited for more.   The restaurant is a little crowded and the noise level is very high.  The staff is energetic, but not very enthusiastic.  However, they are very helpful.  The menu has a very wide selection of choices ranging from sashimi to flying pigs.  I am not allowed to drink wine, but the wine list was very satisfying and one customer stated that their 2004 Monteblanco wine was"full of flavor, and very smooth.  The lighting is very dim considering that it is only lit by candlelight.  When the appetizers came, I noted that they had great presentation and were all very good.  I would definitely recommend the mozzarella  which had great texture and good consistency.  The appetizers were all fresh but very filling.  When the entrees came, everyone was very full from the rich and filling appetizers that they had already eaten.  My entree was ribbon pasta with mushrooms.  The mushrooms were possibly the    most flavorful mushrooms I'd ever had.  They felt like they came straight out of a forest in Tuscany.  The same occurred for the wheaty Italian pasta in the same dish.  However the meal was also too decadent for my stomach and i could not finish my entree.  The price was around 6o dollars per person.  I thought that this meal was good, but not anything above great.  I rate Il Buco a 7.5/10

5 comments:

Stephane said...

You really capture the vibe of the place. The mushrooms were to die for! But what's with those flying pigs?

Anonymous said...

I want to see pigs fly. Also, I would like an order of just mushrooms. Yum.

Grampy

Isabelle said...

Of course you are not allowed to drink wine. You are 11!!! :-)

Dotblock said...

Once again, the restaurant reviewer Ju-Ju has hit on one of my biggest rants! Please use your influence as a professional food reviewer to urge the reduction of earsplitting noise so diners can actually converse with their table mates. When I have had the misfortune of eating at a place like Il Buco, I stop enjoying my food because my throat is hoarse from yelling at my companions! Thanks for the info'~ This is one we'll skip! With appreciation, Dotblock

Papi said...

You certainly know how to express your opinion in a convincing manner. Bravo! Have you found any hidden gems that some day may achieve the reputation of those you reviewed? Do you intend to review any in Belgium or France during your trip?

Papi