Saturday, September 20, 2008

Chanterelle

When my parents gave me the birthday present of any restaurant in the city, one word popped into my head.  Daniel.  I know that many of you think that I am crazy, and that I am posting about the wrong restaurant, but I'm not.  Stick with me here.  So when I was thinking about Daniel, I thought about four things: food, service, who to take and the cost.  With the stock market failing and all, I thought about going to a restaurant of the same caliber, but that would not cost as much.  I was about to give up when my mind began rambling as it does about every other minute, and this time I began to think about mushrooms, all kinds of them, Shitake, Chanterelle, Crimini, wait, and then I remembered the simple restaurant in downtown Tribeca.  The name evoked fragility, and thus as we began our eight and a half block cab ride, I began to think.  Would I be stunned at the holy goodness, of this simple yet extraordinary french outpost, or would I be disgusted by the rich taste of a french cuisine that I had never experience of my life.  As we entered the restaurant, I was overwhelmed by the simplicity of the decor.  It was almost completely plain, except for the most exquisite bouquet of flowers on the wall.  As we sat observing it, our waiter came and asked if we wanted anything to drink, my best friend Parker and I ordered a virgin cosmopolitan that was very good.  Then the appetizers came.  I ordered a quintette of oysters.  I chose to substitute the fois gras oyster with a second pickled ginger oyster that tasted like sushi.  For my other three, I got an olive oil and fennel infused oyster, a fried oyster, and a trout roe and wasabi oyster.  It was by far the best appetizer I have ever had, other than the risotto at Cafe Grey.  For my entree, I ordered the scallops, which were far too rich for me, but they were still delicious.  And the service was just flawless, our waiter was extremely nice, and helpful, but also enthusiastic and excited to help.  For dessert, my father, Parker and myself all agreed on the same thing.  The chocolate-raspberry mousse.  It was simply heavenly.  I believed that after the first bite, I had an epiphany.  Simple wonderful.  I would love to go back again, even though the meal took almost three hours.  Simply stated though, it was one of the most amazing three hours of my life.  I give Chanterelle a 9.3 out of 10.

10 comments:

Papi said...

I am envious; what wonderful parents who can treat you to such an enjoyable eating experience. I cannot wait until you reach the age when you can accompany your meals with equally impressive wines.

Once more your article sparkles with enthousiasm. I believe your communication skill, that were excellent, have improved. Bravo!!

Love, Poppy

Unknown said...

Mushrooms are one of my very favorite item of food so a restaurant named after one can only forebear of excellent food.
It is said that the virtue of a good (even very good) food critic is that the reader is able to transcend his writing to experience the food. You have achieved that. Not only was your prose absolutely amazing but you were able to convey your experience in such a way that I felt like going to Chanterelle today. I tasted your oysters, I loved your dessert, I enjoyed the "zen" decor but smelled the flowers and I even appreciated your wonderful server.
You are really getting GOOD Julian!
I am so proud of you,
Manou

norm magnusson said...

What about the three hours we spent together painting that one lazy summer day? I thought that was the best 3 hours of your life? I can't believe you've dissed me like this. I've got to go before this torrent of tears ruins my keyboard.

Norm

Anonymous said...

Julian, your writing is truly amazing. I was certain that I was in the restaurant with you, Parker and your parents. Of course, I needed to see the complete menu to see if I could find anything to eat!!!

Love, Grampy

Abbe Does It! said...

Boy oh boy, I just looooooooooove Chanterelle and I felt like I was right there with you. Excellent, excellent reporting, Mister Julian. I am so happy you are holding down the title of "NYC foodie" in my absence and I cannot wait to take you to my fav Hudson restaurant this fall! You are turning into quite the intrepid writer and gourmand!!!!

Dotblock said...

Wonderfully entertaining and evocative!
BUT you keep ignoring sound level. Do you know that my taste buds tend to shrivel up when i can't hear in a restaurant? Do you want to have to watch such a disgusting thing? NOISE LEVEL!! Percent of hard surfaces to soft, absorbent surfaces. Space between tables. Decibel level of piped-in "music." Grampy requires no oil, ho butter; Gummie requests quiet. Our choices are dwindling. Forget FOOD. Please help. Love, Dotblock

Malka Drucker said...

Wow Julian! Fragility in the word chanterelle. Not only do you know how to eat, you know how to write! Between your grandparents who eschew fat or non-kosher food, you, you give us vicarious eating pleasures. I'll take you to one of the kosher palaces of eating in New York, and see how your taste buds respond.

Love,
Safte

Isabelle said...

Wow. I can't wait to try Chanterelle! What a great review. And I am a huge oyster fan, so the place sounds like a must. Nicely done. Keep it up.
Michael

Alison said...

THIS IS FROM ANONYMOUS:
Max has a truly wonderful palette and a wide variety of culinary interests. He will certainly be a good occasional tasting sidekick, entertaining and honest.

Unknown said...

This young man speaks with a fluidity and enthusiasm that most adults do not enjoy. I’m with Papi…can’t wait for him to start critiquing wines with his meals! Until then, I look forward to using this blog to determine my next dining experience. Keep up the good work Juju!