Sunday, October 5, 2008

Cucina

My feet were slowly beginning to go numb. And we were only halfway there. As Aristotle had quoted countless times; "A meal is enjoyed more when the feet are as frozen as an ice cube on a frigid winter day". No, I just made that up but it's pretty good right? Anyway, my grandfather and I were in Woodstock, and he wanted to go out to dinner with me. So we mutually decided to go to Cucina which is a twenty minute walk from my house. However, there was only one problem with that. I wore my flip-flops. So my feet were completely exposed the entire time. And it was around 45 degrees outside. Anyway, once we arrived at the restaurant, light was beginning to become minimal. I was starting to dread the walk back. We sat down and ordered. Our waitress was a little bit hyper, and she sort of made the meal awkward. After being slightly alarmed by how drunk our neighboring table was, our appetizers arrived. I ordered the mushrooms and the warm ricotta, while my grandfather ordered a cheese-less pizza with mushrooms. My ricotta was very good,if not a little bit too rich, but the mushrooms were having a field day in the ocean of olive oil. After the appetizers were sent back, I began to feel a little bit of warmth in my toes. Then the entrees arrived. My grandpa ordered salmon over butternut squash. The salmon was good, if not dry. However my pasta was soaked in oil. The sausage it was served with was delicious though. We payed the check and began to walk home. All hope that I had for my poor toes was suddenly lost. We arrived home after almost tripping over hundreds of evil pebbles and stumbled into the house, cold, full and exhausted. I give Cucina a 7.1/10.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Julian, you did not describe our walk home in the dark with only one of our flashlights working.
I actually thought my dinner was great. The salmon was dry to you because I had ordered it without sauce.
My main disappointment was that you did not order the chocolate cake for dessert. I wanted a bite.
You also did not mention the guy who put a napkin under each leg of his chair and put his coat on the floor with a napkin over it.

Stephane Gerson said...

As Plato once said: "one has to suffer for good food. And oily mushrooms too."

Very funny post, Julian.

Abbe Does It! said...

ha, ha, ha, funny guy! who told you to wear flips to walk so far! maybe you should've rubbed the extra olive oil on your feet! xox, abe