Thursday, January 15, 2009

Gramercy Tavern

I was wet and I was pissed. After driving for around 20 minutes with my grandmother in the pouring rain, I was very happy to set foot in a place in which water didn't outnumber people by one million. We were welcomed rather discreetly, but I hardly noticed since I was so excited to finally be there. We sat down and were immediately greeted by our waitress who informed us about the specials. I ordered the oysters which I shared with my grandmother, Francine, along with the octopus and the Kielbasa. Kielbasa is a very strong German sausage. The oysters were succulent and rich, both with and without the delicious chili sauce that it was served with. The octopus, which was my appetizer was served with a very peculiar looking pink mayonnaise sauce that greatly enriched it. I enjoyed it very much, and I believed at the time, and I still believe today that along with the oysters, the octopus was the strongest point of the meal. My Kielbasa came, and even though it looked very appetizing, I found it rather coarse and heavy. I also found that it's potatoes served as an unnecessary starch. I soon ordered my dessert, which was a German chocolate cake. It was, as I found, more or less only focused on decor, and not so much on taste. And in a way, that was how I mostly felt about the restaurant as well. I thought that it was not in any way comparable to Union Square Cafe, the other Danny Meyer restaurant that I have visited. All together, I was very, very disappointed with the way that the meal turned out. Other than the oysters and the octopus, the only thing that I found was positive was the beautiful decor. Overall, I give Gramercy Tavern a 7.7/10.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

7.7 is still a pretty good rating for a disappointing restaurant. You are a generous soul

~Papa

Anonymous said...

I think maybe the drive and the rain influenced your receptiveness to the meal! Maybe some ice cream on the dessert would have helped.

Love, Grampy

PhotoBubby said...

Julian, you're a tough critic!! Now I have to return to Gramercy Tavern - IF I can get a res - to see for myself. Your article is very convincing, however.
Love, Bubby

Papi said...

Sorry that you had a disappointing meal in one of my favorite N.Y. restaurants. Suggest you give them a second chance.

Love, Poppy