Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Arigato Sushi


When I went to California on spring break, many surprises lurked around the corners. I ran into Kobe Bryant at Disneyland. I noticed that pretty much every single restaurant in The Golden State has garlic bread on their menu. And finally, I discovered that California's sushi was rather good. I went to Santa Barbara with my grandmother, and we decided to eat at a sushi restaurant named Arigato. After driving to the restaurant in my uncle Max's Mazzerati, and running into the Bachelor's Andrew Firestone on the way there, the six-person group that we made up entered the two-level cosmopolitan sushi restaurant. However, there was a 45 minute wait, so we stopped by Oprah's favorite bar. After returning, we ordered a magic mushroom roll which had five types of mushrooms, asparagus and avocado. We also ordered a Dracula roll with tuna, ahi, albacore, endive and onion. Another of the strange dishes we wanted to try was the wiki wiki roll with crab, shrimp, papaya, sprouts and avocado. While all of these rolls were unusual, and did not use the most commonly mixed ingredients, the gold shot topped off the list for just plain weird. The components of it were: sea urchin, quail egg and lime juice. It was unbelievably good, and it made my tongue tingle. Also, we ordered two orders of the shrimp gyoza just because it had such tenderness, and tastiness. I asked for two pieces of the smelt roe sushi which had been just prepared in the kitchen. It was very good, but it had too much of a salty component to it. Our last dish was the foie gras which was very rich, and I hated it. But that was just my opinion. Overall, I really loved the food, and the service was quick, elegant and polite. The decor was a little plain and simple, but that probably was because we were on the top floor of the restaurant. The dinner was a little bit expensive, but the meal was definitely worth it. I give Arigato a 8.1/10. It's main highlight was the gold shot.
I felt really grown up.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

No sushi for me, but a ride in Max's Mazzerati sounds great. Maybe he will take me for a drive to a vegaterian restaurant.

Love, Grampy

PhotoBubby said...

I am totally impressed with your ability to remember what you ate a week before. I was there with you and know you didn't write one thing down. I had the same food and remembered NONE of the names of dishes. I DO remember the delicious gold shot and the way you and I downed them simultaneously, but recalled neither the name nor its ingredients.
I'd also have to say you're a pretty tough critic, Julian. I would give Arigato at least a 9!! I'm glad we were there with you because we REALLY had fun!
Love, Bubby

Uncle Max said...

Next time I promise we can have two Gold Shots. On your summer visit, I promise to delight your palette with plenty more Central Coast California delicacies. I'm keeping some of our best restaurants secret to encourage repeat trips.

Great having you out here Julian!

-Max

Isabelle said...

Sushi in Cali. Now you are talking!!!

Malka Drucker said...

We passed Arigato yesterday, Julian, and I thought of the fun we had when you and your mother visited us in Santa Barbara. Despite your tough rating, it's my favorite sushi restaurant.
Good that you rode in the Maserati--Max is getting the Tesla this week, and the Italian is going to be history soon.

Love, Safte