Sunday, March 15, 2009

Jean-Georges

For me, math is the hardest subject. After all, I write reviews, not equations. So on a Thursday evening, with twenty math problems on my palette, I was not excited for the upcoming night. However, there was one bright side to the evening, other than it being my grandmother's birthday. She was taking us to Jean-Georges, the casual part. When I was told, the first thing that went through my mind was not: "Oh, yeah, I'm so excited!" No. Not at all. Instead, it was: "Jesus, I am so fricking spoiled." After doing most of my math problems wrong, and having to correct them, we began the three block walk through the chilled air to the ridonculously big Trump Hotel. Yes, I meant ridonculous, and not ridiculous. As we entered the restaurant, the warm draft of air brought back partial feeling to my extremities. We relinquished our coats to the coat check, and half walked, half plodded into the restaurant. My grandma had already arrived along with her partner, and my gangster cousin Ivan and his wife. After a long discussion, I talked him out of the $65 steak, and advised him to go with the chicken. Then, when everyone started talking about the recession, I began to doze. Stocks, and market trading are not my thing. However, the aroma of freshly fried salt and pepper calamari will wake someone just as well as Ambien can make someone sleep. The calamari was delicious, its crispiness providing a great contrast to the aioli, and the lemon. After that amazing appetizer was taken away, my pasta and lobster arrived. I am not very familiar with lobster, so eating it was an adventure. It was served with passion fruit, which I felt took away from the dish, by making it too sweet. The excessive sweetness was one of the lower points of the meal. The service was elegant, but seemed a little bit too relaxed. The waiters were socializing with each other, and talking when they were not supposed to. I had read the same thing in Zagat Survey. The decor was simplistic, but very beautiful. For dessert, I ordered some mixed berry and green apple sorbet. It I was very satisfied with the meal, but it could have been improved. I give Jean-Georges a 8.6/10. However, I think that in the event of my family going to another fantastic restaurant like this, I believe that I should stay home. After all, we are in a recession.

5 comments:

PhotoBubby said...

Julian,
I am sorry I didn't know you had posted this review so please excuse my tardy response. i think it's your BEST review to date. So fun to read all the personal stuff - you're a comedian as well as a reviewer!
I have some things to clear up. First, you are not spoiled. We all LOVE taking you out to dinners, even fancy ones! And you'd NEVER be excluded from MY birthday dinner! Second, your gangster cousin is really your Uncle Ivan!
I LOVE your sentence "the aroma of freshly fried salt and pepper calamari will wake someone just as well as Ambien can make someone sleep." But I laughed throughout this review and marveled at your clever mind and excellent writing.
From a non-biased Bubby who loves you a lot!

Anonymous said...

Julian, I am still laughing. Thanks for teaching me the word ridonculously. With Google's help I got the definition.

You talked Ivan out of the $65 steak and THEN you ordered lobster. So, lobster is a bargin dish???

Keep the humor up.

Love, Grampy

ejackerman said...

the aroma of freshly fried salt and pepper calamari will wake someone just as well as Ambien can make someone sleep
GREAT LINE!!!
Elyssa
xoxoxoxo

Jennifer said...

Lunch there is MUCH cheaper! recession special for the whole family!
jennifer

Abbe Does It! said...

I agree with Gay. An excellent review and you should NEVER turn down a yummy meal...Write on!!!