Sunday, October 11, 2009

Momofuku


While art may not be my favorite class, I still like my art teachers. So, when they asked me to go with them to Momofuku, I happily obliged. Even though it took more than a year in the making to make that plan be realized, it was worth every minute of the wait. As the wind blew against my face, I finally saw my visual arts teacher, Carin, approaching me. As we hurried to the restaurant, located on first avenue and 11th street, I pictured all of the delicious food that we would be enjoying in less than an hour. After walking for an extremely extended period of time, we finally met up with my old art teacher Melissa, and her friend Ari. We entered the densely packed restaurant, the warm air compensating for the cold, the wafting smell of noodles drifted into my nose. We sat down at our crowded table, and immediately ordered our meal. Some of the items on our list included steak tataki, sliced fluke, roasted pesto cauliflower, seared scallop, chicken buns, pork buns, rice cakes, chilled spicy noodles, and ginger scallion noodles. We finished it off with angel food and strawberry lemonade soft serve. It was a lot of food. We ordered the prix fix menu, along with about twelve other courses off of the menu. My favorite course was the chilled spicy noodles. With all of the other dishes, the serving was immaculate and beautiful, but this dish was sloppy and undecorated and messy, which made it so much better. It had spinach and nuts and sausage all mixed in with it, and it was a perfect blend of spicy and cool. The other noodle dish was loaded with vegetables, which made it healthier, but less enjoyable. A few high points of the meal were the pork and chicken buns, which were both very intense, and the steak tataki, which was grilled to perfection. I really enjoyed Momofuku because I got to enjoy some time with my teachers, and also because I got to experience a new restaurant. While the service is cold, and the decor a little bland, I still feel that Momofuku deserves a 8.7/10.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Julian, "loaded with vegetables" made the dish less enjoyable??? You certainly did not inherit my vegetable gene. That dish sounded delicious to me. Again, in relatively few words, you bring the entire restaurant experience into clear focus. Keep it up.

Love, Grampy

norm magnusson said...

I love the photo.

PhotoBubby said...

Yum Yum Yum. Your piece has really made me eager to go to Momofuku. But I'll warn you - we need to have a talk about why ART isn't your favorite class!
Love, Bubby

Melissa Rubin said...

Hey, who you calling 'old'?? Had a great time that night and enjoyed reading your review.
See you in the art room...Melissa

Isabelle said...

Whatever that is in the photo...I want two of them. Looks delicious.

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!