Friday, March 28, 2008

Red Onion

Nestled in the shadow of the Catskill mountains,  the Red Onion was anything but sleepy.  Even though we were the first occupants of this lively restaurant, the kitchen was ready to cook and our waiter was alert and attentive.  As we began to order our meal, more and more people began to file into the rest of the restaurant.  I ordered a cornet of fries and some scallops served with mushrooms and gnocchi.  The main problem with my entree was the fact that the food made me sick, thanks to the fact that the scallops were drowned in truffle oil.  In fact, I had to go outside multiple times to try and get all the oil out of my system.  The main  reason that I ordered the fries was to see if the fries were at all influenced by Belgian cuisine.  While they were not, they still were very good.  The decor was mostly pictures of nature and scantily dressed women, not exactly the most enjoyable thing to be looking at during a meal.  Other than that, the atmosphere was enjoyable and the decor was pleasant.  The service was knowledgeable but unenthusiastic.  The food however was very rich and mediocre.  I give the Red Onion a 7/10. 

4 comments:

Stephane Gerson said...

One day, I am sure that you'll appreciate the restaurant's artwork.

As for the scallops -- I ate your leftovers around 11:30 last night -- I agree that the truffle oil sneaks up on you. Better stick to those Belgian fries!

Love,
Papa

norm magnusson said...

Right on, sister! That place is totally not worth the price. Unlike The Bear Cafe, where we had a most lovely meal last night. Keep up the good work, I love your blog.

kate faxon said...

Hi Julian- it's Kate from the Belize trip. I really like your blog. The descriptions on the food and decor are great! Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

Oil? Oil? No way, Juju.

Love, Grampy